Sunday, October 25, 2009


I was telling you the other day how beautiful fall is here. The rains came in today- crisping the air again and glossing the scenery. I thought I would share some of the beautiful sights out my back door.
Nasturtiums apparently love this cool weather
The regal chestnut tree

Mt. Olympus...this picture hardly does the color justice Legs the horse standing in the rain...waiting to come in, the beautiful yellow leaves are on the apricot trees.
Amazing thunderclouds over head
Grand maple tree
The sights are inspiring...
So I made these....
2 cups warm water
4 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
4 Tablespoons sugar
5 to 6 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 cup golden raisins
1/2 cup dried cherries
1/4 cup cinnamon sugar mixture

Combine the water, yeast, and sugar in a bowl.I used my kitchen aide bowl. Stir and let stand until foamy, about 5 minutes. Add four cups of the flour as well as the salt and mix with a spoon. With the dough hook, add the remaining cup and a half a few tablespoons at a time(if you don't have an upright mixer, you will have to knead this with your own hands as you work). Knead for 8 will not have to go to the gym to work out your upper body today. Your kitchen aide may not be able to handle the bulk. Towards the end of you kneading, flatten out the dough so it is the size of a large plate and sprinkle with the cherries, raisins, and cinnamon sugar (I kind of pour the sugar in lines instead of sprinkle so that there will be streaks of cinnamon sugar). Finally, roll the dough in one direction (as if making cinnamon rolls) and then shape into a ball.
Spray the bowl with cooking spray and place the dough back in. Spray the top of the dough and cover the bowl with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot for an hour or so until dough doubles in size. Punch down the dough and then gather into a large ball. Cut the ball in half-the halves in half- and then finally the quarters into that?
Roll the pieces into nice smooth balls, and then poke a hole in the center, all the way through. Place on a greased baking sheet and spray the top again with cooking spray. Cover with plastic wrap and put in the fridge overnight. In the morning, preheat the oven to 400 degrees and place the bagels in a warm spot to warm up and rise for 30 minutes. In the meantime, bring a large pot of water to boil. I added a couple of tablespoons of sugar to the water-some recipes call for salt. Carefully, place the bagels in the water (three at a time) and let boil for a minute-turning after 30 seconds. Remove from the water very carefully, and place on a wire rack-at this point, I put a cinnamon sugar mixture in a bowl and pressed the top side of the bagel gently in. Place the bagels on a parchment lined baking sheet-six to a sheet. I also sprinkled cornmeal on the pan-I like them crunchy on the bottom, otherwise, I would suggest spraying it with cooking spray. Bake for 20 minutes and cool on a wire rack for ten minutes before eating.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What beautiful pictures ! ...